Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Been pretty quiet about my bees



I have had an issue with my City Council. I just did NOT feel up to talking yet.

Middle of October I got a citation stating my bees were not allowed under "nuisance" ordinance as a danger to the public. I was NOT in a good mood! After all my research and talking to people NOW they say I can't have them! After a full summer!

So I request a hearing. And wait for a date, and wait. Week yesterday (Oct 28), After two weeks, I go to City Hall. 'Why do I not have a hearing date?" "oh you do, it is Nov 4" Remember I have been THREE WEEKS worrying!

So last Friday I FINALLY get a letter from city lawyer. States the date (finally a notice! Of three days!) and that if found a "nuisance" the city will take immediate action!

Crap! In other words if I lose I get a FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR FINE IMMEDIATELY! And they get someone to clear out my bees AND I GET CHARGED FOR IT!

So yesterday morning my ladies go on vacation! Out to the country 15 miles away! They can't get them there lol..

And as being attitudinal, I set up my nuc box in the same spot my hive was! If they want to give me a ticket for that I get to win in court rofl...jerks!

7pm..off to hearing I go. Sit and chat, after all, went to school, hubby works with, or kids had as teacher, or a cousin with all council members Rofl..I felt it was important to smooze!

First words, What do you want to say? (*&*&^*& ..no I did NOT say it rofl...

First sentence I said "First I want to know what you definition as "danger to public is"? Silence....uh oh..not good I thought! So I start my spiel. Honeybees don't attack like yellow jackets (we have lots of those!) or bumble bees. They won't chase you down! THEY DEFEND..

Next issue ...stings..has anyone been stung in your yard this year? NO, and on I go with the " hubby 10ft away in sandals, shorts, tank top while I tear hive down completely for Aug. inspection. WITH NO STINGS!

Got their attention!

To make a long nerve racking story short, I WON! Ok..I won stage one! Bees are NOT to be considered under "nuisance" ordinance  

They are now looking into other city ordinances! And they asked if I would be interested in giving some info! OH yea Oh yea! rock on

NOT going to forget that they could still ban, but looking good!

But my ladies will be on vacation in the country till something is definite.
I will keep my nuc box up so they will not think I am giving up!rofl

Oh and the "complaint" that someone did that started it? One of the council was really ticked the person did NOT show up! She kept at it as a "spite complaint"! She was very verbal about it! Maybe that helped!

Chief of police said there was one other incident that they made them get rid of the bees. But they never asked for a hearing so it never went before the council so no "precedent" was set. Score one!

This is the condensed version lol....

No comments:

Post a Comment